Proper Gutter Repair and Maintenance Tips
Keeping Bay Area gutters clean and in good repair protects your roofing and home from water damage. This due diligence also protects your wallet, since undoing this kind of damage after the fact can be quite costly.
All that said, gutter-related chores almost never rise to the level of “must do NOW” until it’s too late. If you’re (smartly) trying to be proactive, here are some battle-tested tips to make the job go smoother.
- Select the right ladder for the height of your roof. A four legged step ladder is fine for a single story home, and a two legged extension ladder is perfect for a second floor gutter cleaning. If your roof is more than two stories high, consider hiring Bay Area roofing contractors.
- Use a garden hose with a pistol-grip trigger spray nozzle. Adjust the pressure as needed to handle the job. Don’t get too zealous! You want to avoid damaging the shingles or the gutters.
- Use a gutter scoop to remove debris. Dump the debris into a bucket rather than on your driveway to avoid additional cleanup work.
- Wear hand and eye protection.
- Spray the roof clean first. Once you’re done, then the gutters to avoid doing the job twice.
- Unclog downspouts by running water from the top of the spout. Use as much pressure as possible (without causing damage, of course). If the water doesn’t flow freely out of the bottom, tap the spout to try and loosen the clog and run the water again.
- Replace missing gutter spikes.
- Seal leaks by removing old caulk and replacing with silicone.
- Replace loose or missing rivets on the downspouts.
- Replace all gutters if they are rusted and non-functional.
New Gutter Installation in the Bay Area
Century Roof is a leader in Bay Area gutter installations and repair services. We also offer extensive options for new gutters, including many styles and colors to fit your home’s exterior. Call us today at (888) 233-7548 or contact us online for a free quote.