As you climb the ladder this week to hang your holiday lights, you may peer into your gutters and realize they need cleaning out! Take immediate action, as our winter rains are on the way.
You must keep Bay Area gutters clean and fix leaks to protect your roofing and home from water damage. Gutter maintenance and repair also protects your wallet, as unattended leaks or clogs can cause considerable water damage over time.
And cleaning out gutters while the debris is still dry is far easier than after it gets soaked by rain!
Get Gutters Cleaned and Repaired Before Winter Rains Lash Your House
We know gutter cleaning is “out of sight, out of mind” until the rains come and the gutters overflow. But if you want to be proactive, here are tips to getting the job done right:
Gutter Cleaning Steps
- Use the right ladder for the height of your roof. A step ladder may work well for a single story home, and a two legged extension ladder could be just right for a second floor gutter cleaning if you have level ground around your home. If your roof is more than two stories high or you live on a steeply graded lot, consider hiring Bay Area roofing contractors.
- Spray the roof clean first to avoid having to clean out the gutters twice!
- Unclog downspouts by spraying water in from the top of the spout. Use a garden hose with a pistol-grip trigger spray nozzle. Adjust the pressure as needed to handle the job. Use as much pressure as possible without causing damage. If the water doesn’t flow freely out of the bottom, tap the spout lightly to try and loosen the clog and run the water again. Finally, for tough clogs you can use a plumber’s snake to drill through and loosen the packed debris.
- Use a gutter scoop to remove debris in the gutters. Dump the debris into a bucket rather than on your driveway or lawn to avoid additional cleanup work.
- Wear gloves and proper eye protection.
Gutter Repair Steps
- Replace missing gutter spikes.
- Seal leaks at gutter section joints by removing old caulk and replacing with silicone.
- Replace loose or missing rivets on the downspouts.
- Replace all gutters if they are rusted, busted and tough to repair.
Extensively damaged gutters likely need replacement. Contact us for an inspection and estimate.
Bay Area Gutter Installation Experts
Century Roof and Solar has years of experience fixing and installing gutter systems. We welcome Bay Area gutter installations and repair jobs. We offer extensive options for new gutters, including many styles and colors to fit your home’s exterior. Call us today at (888) 233-7548 or contact us online for a free quote.