Roofing Contractor in the East Bay Helps Make Your Roof Last
No homeowner wants to replace their roof, but the fact is that no roof will last forever. The best that you can do is try to extend your roof’s lifespan by taking care of it. When you do need to replace your roof, think about the type of shingles you have installed by roof builders in the East Bay.
Roofing Materials and Lifespan
The type of shingles on your roof have a lot to do with how long the roof will last. Your roofing contractor in the East Bay can help you find the right shingles that fit your home’s style and your budget.
- Asphalt Shingles – a common type of roof that is affordable and durable. You should get 15 to 25 years out of this roof type.
- Metal roof – although not as popular on residences, metal roofs are becoming more common. A metal roof can last 40 years or more. Premium metals, such as copper, can last up to 100 years.
- Wood shingles and shakes – cedar shakes are popular for coastal homes because they are rot- and insect-resistant. With proper maintenance, this type of roof can last up 30 years.
- Clay tiles – better in warmer climates where freezing and thawing won’t damage the tiles. A clay tile roof can last up to 100 years.
- Slate tiles – slate tiles are extremely heavy and durable. A slate tile roof can last up to 200 years. However, you do need to make sure your roof can handle the weight.
Factors That Affect Your Roof’s Lifespan
Obviously, the materials are one element of the longevity of your roof. There are many other factors that impact the lifespan of your roof.
- Weather – the sun’s UV rays, wind and hail can damage your roof and cause it to wear out prematurely.
- Installation – a roof that is installed correctly lasts longer than one that is haphazardly installed.
- Ventilation – your roof needs ventilation as part of its system to prevent shingles from cracking and deteriorating.
- Maintenance – taking care of your roof through the year and making quick repairs can help extend its life.
- Insulation – while insulation protects your home from soaring utility costs, it also keeps your roof
Find The Best Roof Builders in the East Bay
Ask a local roof repair contractor in the East Bay for an annual inspection to take care of small problems with your roof before they become big issues. Inspect your roof after a storm to look for damage. Contact Century Roof and Solar for all your roofing needs.