Bay Area winter rains are tough on old roofs. And, because your roof protects you, your home and your possessions from wind and rain, you need to keep that old roof properly patched. Make sure your roof is in good condition and fix any problems before winter rains. Do not wait until you find yourself sitting with buckets catching drips while you try to find an emergency roof repairman!
Roofs Don’t Last Forever
Many homes, especially older homes, have asphalt shingle roofs which typically only last 15-25 years. They likely are approaching the end of their useful life. Get that old roof inspected this month! All roofs sustain damage over time. So all roofs need to be inspected and “patched” to protect a home.
Common Causes of Leaks in Old Roofs
Here are some common causes of roof leaks, each of which can be addressed and repaired by a professional East Bay roof repair service:
- Falling objects such as tree limbs can punch holes in the roof. So can actions like removing antennas or satellite dishes.
- Missing or damaged shingles or tiles. These gaps provide a direct entry point for moisture to enter the home.
- Gutter malfunctions, which happen when gutters are filled with debris. This causes water to backflow onto the roof or under the eaves.
- Old age will eventually cause the roof material to crack or shift.
- The flashing that covers joints and seams warp or shift over time, opening gaps which rainwater will find.
- If your roofline includes valleys—the V-shaped spots where two roof slopes meet—they can be susceptible to leaks.
- Vents, skylights, and chimneys all offer areas where leaks most likely occur first!
- Debris left on roofs can cause water pooling on the roof which can lead to leaks.
- A serious winter storm with strong winds can lift and separate shingles.
An inspection of your roof can determine if any of these issues are of concern. And a professional Hayward Roofing Company can take care of them before they create problems for the home.
What are the Signs of Roof Damage?
There are several signs that you have roof damage. Look for ceiling stains, missing or damaged shingles, mold where the roof and exterior wall meet, cracked, broken, or missing roof vents, mold on exterior walls, rusted flashing, and missing gutter apron areas. If you find any of these signs, call an East Bay roof repair service to correct any problems.
Call a Certified Roofing Contractor to Repair Old Roofs
As a certified roofing contractor, we have the right knowledge and decades of experience. We bring the right equipment to the job. We have liability and insurance coverage, and offer rock-solid workmanship guarantees.
Contact Century Roof and Solar for certified roof repair services and installation. We provide complimentary, thorough, and practical estimates. Century Roof and Solar delivers high-quality roofing solutions that will last for decades with proper care.