Most people probably take their roofs for granted, until they leak. People often wait too long before having their roof inspected, which leads to more costly repairs or even replacement. So, it is important not to wait until a problem is as evident as a leak.
The roof is one of the most expensive and most important features of a home. So don’t postpone that roof inspection to determine what repairs your roof may need. Call professional Bay Area roof repair specialists to get that done.
How Long do Residential Roofs Last?
The question “how long do roofs last?” is an important one. Over 75 percent of American homes have asphalt shingles, which typically last 15 to 25 years. Asphalt shingles are the most affordable shingles and are comprised of organic materials and cement fibers. They install quickly and come in a wide variety of colors and patterns.
Most professional roof repair service providers can also install architectural shingles, wood or “shake shingles,” clay tile roofs or metal roofs, each of which will last longer than regular asphalt shingles but which will cost much more. In the Bay Area, of course, wood shingles do not make sense given our growing annual fire season.
Six Signs Your Roof May Need Repair or Replacement
Here are some of the signs that it is time to call a Bay Area roof repair specialist:
- Indoors, look for signs of coloration or stains on ceilings, paint blistering, chipping, or cracking. All could be signs of roof leaks.
- Check in the attic or overhead crawl spaces to see if there is any evidence of moisture, water staining, mold, or mildew.
- Look for missing shingles on the roof or “bald spots” where water penetration can occur. Additionally, look for curling, cracked, or buckling shingles.
- Check roof gutters for an unusual accumulation of colored roofing granules from decaying shingles.
- Look for the appearance of dark patches which indicate water accumulation and moss or algae growth. Also, look for severe color fading.
- If the roof has a sagging appearance, that may indicate a problem with the roofing understructure.
Why You Shouldn’t DIY a Roof Inspection
Five Reasons to Use a Roofer to Inspect Your Roof:
- Have extensive experience and knowledge
- Have the right tools and equipment
- Have liability and insurance coverage
- Offer workmanship warranties
- Save the homeowner time and prevent homeowner injuries
Professional Roofing Services Near You in the San Francisco Bay Area
Contact Century Roof and Solar for expert roof repair service and installation. Our complimentary estimates are thorough and practical. Century Roof and Solar takes a systematic approach to roofing, delivering high-quality roofing solutions that with care will last for decades.