Roofs last a long time. So, the selection of roof shingle or tile colors is a critical part of installing a new roof. It is also a chance to truly improve the curb appeal of your home by matching shingle or tile colors to the other elements of your home’s exterior. And to your neighborhood look and feel.
Having a solid and secure roof with securely installed roof tiles is critical to protect a home and its contents. But because the roof is 25 to 40 percent of a home’s visible exterior, it is also a significant part of a home’s appearance. So, choosing the right roofing materials and colors is very important. And choosing an experienced Bay Area roofing contractor to get great advice about materials is essential.
Seven Tips on How to Pick Roof Shingle or Tile Colors to Truly Complement Your Home
In consultation with your professional East Bay roofing service, here are some guidelines for choosing the right color for your roof shingles or tiles:
- Select a color that will complement the overall architectural style of the home, including the color of structural elements like gables, doors, windows, walls, trim, stone, stucco, brickwork, etc.
- Consider the roof colors of the houses in the neighborhood as well as any rules of the neighborhood. You do not want your home to stick out with too garish a roof, especially if you wish to sell the home at some point. A roof shingle or tile color should also harmonize with the natural surroundings and your landscaping.
- Select a color that will be energy efficient. California building codes require “cool roofs” that are Title 24-compliant to help reduce a home’s carbon footprint. Asphalt roofing shingles embedded with high-reflectance granules meet the need. They come in a surprising range of colors, from white and gray to various shades of brown.
- Lighter shades may also keep a home cooler, as Bay Area summers experience longer heat waves.
- Bring samples home. Just as you would put paint chips up on a wall, put your roof materials up against your outer walls and windows, and view them at all times of day to see how they look.
- Find homes in your neighborhood with the shingles or tiles that look similar to the look you seek.
- Select a color that will have an enduring appeal, one that you will be happy with for a very long time.
Why You Should Work With a Certified Roofing Contractor
Choose a certified roofing contractor, not some fly-by-night operator, because they will:
- Be up to date on building standards and codes.
- Have business liability insurance.
- Use proper safety gear.
- Have complete experience and expertise.
- Save money by not wasting materials.
Get Roofing Material Advice from a Professional Bay Area Roofing Contractor
A new roof is a big investment that you and your neighbors will live with for years. So get professional help! Contact Century Roof and Solar, your Bay Area certified roofing contractor for expert roof installation, with over three decades of experience in roofing service and installation. Century Roof and Solar takes a systems approach to roofing, delivering high-quality roofing solutions with every component. We also offer a workmanship guarantee you can rely on given our tenure and reputation.